Pepsi Cola Colombia Ltd., as part of their Trade Marketing strategy for their Gatorade brand, sponsors on an annual basis over 1200 sports events throughout Colombia. To execute this strategy, Gatorade uses a nation-wide team of zone supervisors that are responsible of leasing with the event organizers, negotiate the sponsorship terms, and manage the logistics of Gatorade product supply and installation of banners, marketing displays and stands, and other merchandising material within the events.
Before the use of Sevenminds, this supervisors sent information about the development of the events from different cities throughout Colombia in a disorganized and incomplete manner, in different formats such as email, PDF, Excel and PowerPoint, and the central coordinator had to spend a large amount of time consolidating this data before it was useful for management to understand the status and results of the events, and evaluate the work of the field team.
This information used to be sent after a month of the end of the event, and in an incomplete and unstandardized manner, making impossible to have an adequate control over the investments that were being done on this multiple national sports events.
By 2008, the marketing direction of Pepsico decided to implement a strategy that would enable them to evaluate and monitor the investment, execution and results of the events sponsored by Gatorade in an efficient and effective manner.
Before the use of Sevenminds, our supervisors sent information about the development of our events from different cities throughout Colombia in a disorganized and incomplete manner, in different formats such as email, PDF, Excel and Powerpoint, and the central coordinator had to spend a large amount of time consolidating this data before it was useful to understand the status and results of the events, and evaluate the work of our field team
"Now we are efficient and have control overrun investment in sports events"
Maria Lucia Rodríguez
In December 2008, Pepsico selects Sevenmindsas their Web-based field data capture solution, enabling their supervisor team submit data and images of the events from any location in throughout the country, and the marketing management teams in Bogotá and Caracas to instantly consult the corresponding performance indicators that are produced by the system on a daily basis.
Actually, data flow has been standardized and simplified through 3 easy steps:
1. The first day of the week, Gatorade’s coordinator logs in to Sevenminds, and registers the main data of the events that will be sponsored throughout the weekend, allowing marketing management team to have control over the weekend plans.
2. Throughout the weekend, the coordinator registers in Sevenminds all relevant data and images of the events.
3. The first day of the following week, marketing management team can consult the results of the weekend events throughout customized reports produced through Sevenminds, including high-quality graphics, images and performance indicators.
• Sevenminds has built a unified workspace where the marketing department can be informed every week on the results of Gatorade events throughout all the country.
• Decision-making within marketing management team has been enhanced by receiving consolidated information on their performance indicators in real-time.
• Awareness over Gatorade brand has been increased by implementing strategies based on the profile data about the attendees and competitors in the events that the system has allowed to collect.
• Compliance to desired standard and adequate location of merchandising material (Stands, Banners, Fridges, etc.) has been ensured, by monitoring the photographic record of the events.
Return On Investment (ROI)
• Up to 25% cost savings due to reduction in product and award’s loss and wrongful distribution within the events. By effectively controlling inventory and participants at the event site, investments have been more efficiently used and brand promotional strategy has been optimized.
(1200 events x US$ 75 per event = US$ 90.000)
• Productivity of the marketing team has been increased in about 18%. Staff at the central office and site coordinators nowadays can spend more time on activities that really add value to the Gatorade brand, by saving time previously wasted in unnecessary tasks and report elaboration that were needed for controlling the events before implementation of Sevenminds.
(11 persons x U$ 3.150 per year/person= U$ 34.650)
Annual cost: U$ 24.000
Total savings: U$ 124.650
ROI: U$ 100.650
Time for Return: 3 months